MarsEdit 4.3.6: Phasing Out Blogger.com SupportJanuary 17th, 2020
MarsEdit 4.3.6 is now available on the MarsEdit home page. It was submitted to the Mac App Store but has not yet been approved.
With this release, I’m officially dropping support for Blogger.com. Existing configurations may continue to work, but attempts to authorize new connections will fail. This is because Google no longer supports the authorization mechanism that MarsEdit uses. You can read more about the changes at Google that prompted this change in the Blogger page on Red Sweater Help.
For the adventurous existing customers who already have a Blogger configuration in MarsEdit, I’m offering advice for migrating existing authorizations from one Mac to another. This should be considered a stop-gap solution at best.
Dropping Blogger.com support is bittersweet for me. After I acquired MarsEdit in 2007, adding support for Blogger.com was one of the very first tasks I took on. I continue to host my own personal blog on the service. But over the years it has frankly been more of a headache to support than I wish it was, but I continued to put the work in because I both hoped Google would eventually put more effort into supporting the system, and because I knew I had a ton of passionate users who are still using the site. Unfortunately, I don’t think the prospects are good for the future of the service, and the hurdles Google has put up make it untenable for me to continue this effort.
On the bright side, this update also includes a number of bug fixes and enhancements. Here’s the complete list of changes in this update:
- Adapt to changes in Blogger.com that require MarsEdit to drop support for the service
- Images can now be pasted directly into the Featured Image field
- Changes to default media size constraints no longer requires typing the “pt” units after the numeric value
- Fix a bug that caused post editor’s sidebar width to change to match the preview template editor’s width
- Fix a bug that could cause autoresizing text fields to not grow or shrink to match text
- Fix a crash that could occur if a blog is deleted while it still has active network operations running
If you enjoy MarsEdit, please consider writing a review or rating the app on the Mac App Store, spreading the word on Facebook or Twitter, and of course, writing about the app on your own blog! Thanks for your support.