Within the past few weeks, the number of hangs and crashes having to do with MarsEdit’s plain-text editor has gone up quite a bit. I think it was a combination of some changes in in MarsEdit 4, and some changes in Apple’s latest revisions of the Mac libraries in macOS 10.13. This update makes a few changes that should dramatically reduce if not eliminate these editor annoyances.
MarsEdit 4 brought a new feature to support downloading the entire post archive from a blog, and some of the app’s most long-time devotees decided to put it to the test! For some blogs, particularly when there are thousands of posts, it may be prudent or even necessary to change the default “number of posts per request” in MarsEdit’s Connection settings. Previously, this setting was being respected for WordPress, but ignored for Tumblr and Blogger. This is also fixed in this update.
A number of other improvements were made. Here is the complete list of changes:
- Fix a crash that could occur in the plain text syntax highlighting functionality
- Fix a hang in the plain text editor that could affect large posts
- Fix Google and Tumblr blogs to heed the “number of posts per request” download setting
- Fix a bug introduced in 4.0.6 that caused doubling of file extensions on image uploads
- Fix behavior of “Do Again” format menu item for custom macros applies in Rich Text mode
- Fix a bug that prevented Featured Image from being deleted from an already-published post
- Fix handling of combining characters such as the “Male Singer” (Ziggy Startdust) in plain text editor
- Change character count behavior to consider spaces in total character count.